I wrote this post to help you define, plan and stick to your goals, which will be hopefully achieved in the end. I included creative visualization, my goal planning routine and also tip on how to get back on track, when you feel demotivated or overwhelmed with your project. I hope you find it useful! 😉
Do you know what you want?
Sometimes, it is not always very clear what goals we want to achieve in life. And it’s completely fine, because we are living in world with a billion opportunities, so we can get lost easily. Therefore grab a piece of paper and use creative visualization of your dream lifestyle like there are not any limitations:
– describe your casual day after achieving your goal (Where would you live? What time would you get up? What people would you meet? How much money would you earn? Which activities, you don’t have time for now, would you start doing?)
– continue with description of what you currently don’t like in your life (The job/boss you hate. Zero time for you partner / kids / yourself. Not enough money for your dream lifestyle..) How will you perceive if all those things are not bothering you anymore? Can you simplify your life after achieving the goal?
– define what is stopping you from living your dream life
How I plan my goals
Being aware of what you want to achieve is the first milestone in your life, however more important step is to transfer this dream into reality by taking action, which has to be smartly planned. Otherwise – GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A WISH, we all know that. So, what works for me?
– I break down the project into smaller actions and set a deadline for each of them
– I set a priority level and estimated duration of each action (the fun party with a bunch of highlighters 😉 )
– based on the priority level, I put each action step into the calendar and set aside the estimated time during that day/week
– Once the big day hits calendar, I try to get rid of any distractions, turning off my phone and start with the first task (sometime easier said than done 🙂 , but this is how I usually plan my goals). If you are interested, you can read more about how I beat procrastination and my tips on staying productive.
Don’t stop (and know your why)
Being aware of a reason why you want to accomplish your goal is crucial, especially during tough times. So write all your reasons down and go through the list every time you feel doubtful or insecure about your decision.
Maybe you feel like nothing is going your way and you want to give your life a complete refresh. Or you want to start your own business and get more freedom / flexibility. What is the main reason why have you decided to give this journey a try? Be honest with yourself and get back on track!
To sum it up:
1. Dream about what you really want
2. Stick to your plan = have a plan at first place 🙂
3. When feeling unmotivated or doubtful, go through your “know your why list” and creative visualization exercise
These are my tips for setting and planning goals, which works for me. If you know any other goal-related tips, definitely let me know! 😉